Similar dining concept as Shokudo and Marché..
I was eager to visit Manpuku at the newly opened Tampines 1 as it had drawn huge crowds over the past two months since its opening in April 2009. As there are 10 different Japanese brands at Manpuku, it took me quite a while to decide what to have for my dinner.
Finally, our orders were:
1. Aoba – Shio Hotate Ramen (Salt Flavored Ramen with Scallops) – 7/10
The broth was yellowish and clear. The ramen noodle was perfectly done and springy. There were about 6 scallops. Other than containing more sodium, it should be a healthier choice.
2. Yoshimi – Seafood Curry Soup with Rice – 4/10
I was quite disappointed with this seafood curry soup.
- The seafoods were not fresh. It seemed that the seafoods had been pre-cooked and put aside and they were added to the curry soup to make it hot when there are new orders from customers. The salmon was overcooked and became hardened. The sotong (squid) was tough and not crunchy.
- The soup was so watery, powdery and not spicy at all. Worst, the soup curry tasted like Indian curry instead.
- The rice did not taste like the Japanese rice. Wonder what rice grades they used..
3. Fruit Paradise – Mango Tart and Earl Grey Tea – 6/10
Their fruit tarts really looked very attractive. The Mango tart was assembled with a hard but fragrant biscuity base and layered with kind of soft cream cheese, sponge cake, fresh cream and mango. All along, I don’t like fresh cream, therefore I don’t really fancy these fruit tarts.
The Earl Grey Tea was refreshing and I like the aroma of this tea. It had a pleasant flavour and it was not too strong for me.
Our bill for the meals.
Below are their namecards.
Fruit Paradise will be opening another outlet in the new Orchard Central soon. Those who fancy their tarts, will get them in the city soon.
Manpuku is like a Japanese food court where you get to choose the different Japanese cuisines. Perhaps I will go back there again to try other dishes or different brands.
Manpuku Japanese Gourmet Town
10 Tampines Central 1
Tel: 6789 6810
Daily: 11am - 10pm